April 4, 2023
4 minutes read
Our experts proudly present
We are the ZF Aftermarket technical support team.
Under the hashtag #inbrief we are going to present you, on a regular basis, a new topic by illuminating it from all angles. These topics may relate to new products or frequent customer inquiries that reach our ZF Aftermarket technical support team. All information on today's topic are available for you to download here.
Do you have a specific question on any technical subject or product information?
Reasons for an oil change
When to change the transmission oil?
ZF Aftermarket recommends a transmission oil change for ZF transmissions as indicated in our Lists of Lubricants. However, the characteristics of the oil change under load. For example, the oils age faster at extremely high operating temperatures.
Shorter change intervals are advisable depending on:
- Driving style and driving profile
- Making many trips at high speeds
- Trailer operation
- Sporty driving style
- Frequent short-distance trips
Regular oil changes result in:
- Reduced wear
- Less abraded material (maintains clutch disks)
- Maintains the transmission's adaptability
How can an oil change kit contribute to this task?
All components are of ZF OE quality and are immediately available - this saves working time in the workshop and waiting time for the vehicle owner. ZF oil change kits:
- Contain components in ZF OE quality exclusively
- Contain all components required for a professional oil change
- Always contain the corresponding installation instructions
- Contain ZF transmission oils that perfectly match the respective transmission thanks to special additives
Benefits and Properties
What is so special about ZF transmission oils and oil change kits?
ZF LifeguardFluid oil:
- Is optimized for transmissions and therefore guarantees optimal performance and shift comfort as a "feature"
- Was developed in conjunction with the individual transmissions and adapted to their specific requirements
- Contains base oils and special additive packages (friction modifiers, corrosion inhibitors, cold flow improvers, cleaning agents, foam inhibitors, etc.) that perfectly match the respective transmission
- Maintains excellent lubrication and friction properties even under high loads
- Ensures a long service life and noticeable fuel savings
Where to use ZF oil change kits for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles with ZF and "non-ZF" transmissions:
- Transmission oil changes incl. filter replacement
- Oil pan or housing leaks
- Oil cooler leaks
- Torque converter replacement
- Mechatronic replacement
ZF oil change kits are available for ZF-5HP, 6HP, 8HP and other "non-ZF" makes, e.g., Mercedes, VW and Ford.
Here you can find an overview of the supported types of automatic transmissions in our portfolio.
Depending on transmission type, the kits include the following:
- Seal and separate oil filter or
- A complete plastic oil pan with integrated oil filter plus suitable seal, mounting screws, magnets and screw plug
- Included oil (7 bottles of ZF LifeguardFluid, 1 liter each) or
- Without oil
- Installation note
Notes for workshops
Useful information for workshops and vehicle owners
Please shake the oil bottle for at least 30 seconds before filling it into the transmission. The silicone particles must be well combined with the oil.